In 1926, a group of area physicians formed the Akron Doctor’s Orchestra so they could share their musical talent with the community. Over time, musicians from all walks of life joined the orchestra diversifying its membership. Consequently, in 1986 the orchestra’s name was changed to the Akron Pops Orchestra — a name well known and respected throughout the greater Akron area. The Pops grew for many years under the direction of the late Hans Gartner who conducted well into his 90’s. The Akron Pops Orchestra’s current Musical Director, Mr. Kristan Crane, formerly played French Horn in the Pops and previously was the Pops Associate Conductor.
Our Mission: Volunteer musicians dedicated to providing enjoyment to our community by sharing the gift of music.